Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Lottery

Today was the biggest lottery of the year in Spain, "the fat one", with a first prize of 3,000,000€ and loads and loads of minor prizes.

I didn't win spit. This is probably because I didn't buy any tickets, because I prefer to make my own luck. I also know enough about probability mathematics to know that the house always wins.

My brother-in-law thinks he's won about 250€. But then he bought about 15 tickets, and that cost him 300€.

See what I mean?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You and me both Sheila. I saw an item on on TV fairly recently, about some Uni Prof who had worked out that even just to reduce your odds to 5:1 of winning a decent prize, you'd need to spend 1,000 quid per week lottery on tickets over 60 years. You're right, those odds suck!