Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Carnivorous Shopping Trolley

It's been pouring with rain for days. Eventually I had to go out and get shopping regardless.

I went to the supermarket at San Antonio, and I had to park on the steep slope beside the building. It wasn't raining when I went in, but as I came out, it was pouring with big gusts of wind . I didn't want to sit in the car and wait, because I thought the firewood would get soaked, and so would the six-pack of milk. Not that the milk itself would mind, but it was likely to turn into six separate packets at the most inconvenient moment. So I struggled down the steep hill with the umbrella trying to turn itself inside out and the trolley trying to gallop away down the hill.

I got the trolly propped on the front bumper of the car - the uphill side - and started dumping the shopping into the car. One bag at a time, because the other hand was clinging onto the umbrella, to stop it flying off to the Bahamas. By the time I got all the shopping in, I was soaked from the thighs down.

And then either I knocked the empty trolley or the wind did. At any rate, somehow it came charging down the slope and whacked into my middle, carried on, and crashed over the kerb and into the bushes below. There's no serious damage, but I'm bruised.

I left the goddam trolley where it was. For one thing, I wasn't sure I could get it back up the slope, and I'd certainly get soaked trying. For another, I was in a foul mood.

Carlos laughed, but he applied alcohol and sympathy. He knows me pretty well!

No comments: