Friday, March 07, 2008

Volunteeritis

My son's been looking forward to the three-day class trip into the Caldera next week. Since he's an only-child, it's all the more important for him to spend time with other kids. And to be honest, I was planning the things I could do with the free time.

And then his teacher called me late this morning. The trip was in danger of being cancelled, because they needed a second adult to go with them. Would I consider ...?

So instead of three days catching up on my writing courses and sleeping in, I'll be shepherding kids around. On the other hand, I haven't been into the Caldera for at least twelve years, and it's lovely. And this way I get free transport, lodging and guidance.

Actually, what really swung it was that a) it will be great for my son and b) this teacher has been great for my son and I feel I owe him a favour or three.

But I'm still wondering just what I've let myself in for.

No comments: