Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Easy Good Deed

I went into the chemist this morning, to buy a first aid kit to keep in the car (best way not to need one.)

I queued behind an old lady with a crutch who was clearly feeling down. She was just telling the assistant that it was taking her forever to get over her fall.

Several years ago, I broke my ankle. I remember feeling it was taking forever to get better, and I really sympathised. I remember down days.

The assistant said, "Well, go for a stroll in the sunshine, now that you can. I'm sure you'll feel better."

"Where to?" asked the old lady. "I don't really see the point."

I said, "What you need is a handsome young man to chase after. That would make it a lot more fun."

I was hoping to make her smile a bit, but no. She absolutely creased up and cackled with laughter. "Me? A handsome young man? Yes that would be fun!"

And she was still giggling as she left the chemist's with a new spring in her hobble.

I seem to have done an awful lot of good for ten seconds effort.

No comments: