Saturday, January 22, 2011

A bit too interesting



I haven't got much writing done in the last few days.

On Thursday I got my hair done, and a new photo taken for the website. It was overdue, but it meant that I didn't get any writing done in the morning. Then in the afternoon I got gastroenteritis. So no writing then either, and not much sleep that night.

By morning I wasn't ill any more, but I was very tired. I opened one eye and asked, "Can you get yourselves off to school and work without me? Good." And I went back to sleep.

I got out of bed at about 11, and managed some breakfast. I'd just logged on to check my email when the phone went.

My son needed me to collect him from school. He sneaked up behind a friend, and flipped the friend's hood over his face. The friend span around and shoved my son violently into a concrete column, knocking him dizzy.

To be fair, he apologized profusely afterwards.

So I had to get dressed and take my very shaken son to the doctor. It took most of the morning to establish that no, he didn't have concussion and no, his arm wasn't broken. Whew!

And I collapsed into bed for the afternoon - so no writing done on Friday either.

On Saturday I was supposed to be tour guiding at the Roque. It was icy overnight, so I got a phone call saying we might have to cancel, then one saying they couldn't cancel and be careful. So I left early, in case I had to drive the last bit at 10 km/h.

Once above the tree-line I slowed down, and kept a wary eye on the shadows, where ice might be lurking.

And pretty soon I had to stop, because a bus had gone into a slide and was now stuck, and blocking the road.

Well this was great. I couldn't get past the bus to the Roque, and I couldn't phone them, because that bit of the road had no mobile coverage. All I could do was to stick around, and explain the situation to any of my clients who came up that way. I couldn't do spit about the ones coming up the other side.

So that's what I did. And then I went home. By which time I was too tired to write.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: