Saturday, November 22, 2008

Wired jaw.

For some time now, my son's been having dental treatment to straighten his teeth and correct a severe under-bite. First he had a thingamy to wear at night to pull his jaw forwards. Then he had to wear it during the day, too, which caused rows. Once he grew up enough to wear it properly, his jaw gradually slid into place. Then he had traditional braces to straightent he teeth themselves. We're nearing the end of the treatment, thank goodness, but the latest instalment is basically glorified rubber bands between top and bottom jaw to pull his jaw forward the last little bit.

The catch is that he can only eat through a straw. As soon as he tries anything else - even a small spoonful of shepherds pie - the rubber bands break. I have a small supply of replacements, but it takes me about half an hour to get them on, and it thoroughly uncomfortable for both of us. We've only been doing this since Wednesday evening, but it feels like forever. I'm thoroughly bored with cooking soup, never mind eating it. So I hate to think how my son feels.

Two more days to go.

No comments: