Saturday, May 26, 2012

Morning Walk in El Hierro

 
I'm in the middle of one of my weekend escapes to El Hierro.


I woke up early and went for a lovely walk before breakfast, from El Pinar towards Las Playas and the Parador.  Not that I got all the way down to the Parador, because that would have meant hiking back up.  Besides, the path was very steep and slightly slippery, and nobody knew where I was.  Of course that meant that the view down towards the beach was amazing.

But the sunrise was amazing (and no, I haven't tweaked the colours with the computer), the light was beautiful, and the peace and birdsong did me good.

I've always loved aoniums (bejeque in Spanish) and the light on the big one by the dry stone wall was marvellous.

I think I walked for between 1.5 and 2 km before I turned back.  And on the way up, I found a tree root that looked a lot like a pipe fish.
When I got back tot he village, I felt I'd earned a bacon roll for breakfast.  Sadly, I forgot that the rolls on El Hierro are nearly twice the size of the rolls on La Palma, so it was rather a large breakfast, but I think I'd burned off most of the calories in advance.

I hope I get chance for another walk tomorrow.


No comments: