Thursday, April 10, 2008

Warp Speed Nine

Hurray, the gales have stopped. In fact there was hardly any wind at all today. As soon as I woke up I started looking forward to a peaceful day.

Ha!

It got off to a nice enough start. I met an old friend, Jo, in town. She used to work at the observatory, but I hadn't seen her since she left, over five years ago. So we chatted, and drank coffee, and chatted some more. Then she came back to my house, which she hadn't seen before. We were just looking through her wedding photos on the computer when the phone rang.

Another friend, Lou, had fallen and hurt her foot badly. Her partner's working a long way from home, and could I possible run the 15-month-old to and from nursery?

Easy-peasy, since it fits in very nicely with my son's school run. But poor Lou!

While I was still talking to Lou, my mobile rang. My son needed his paperwork to book his end-of-school-year trip. The school wanted them today to make the bookings. I hadn't realised that today was the deadline, and I knew I didn't have a copy of Julio's Social Security card (for health cover) because he didn't have one. But I reasoned that they'd need that for the trip, but not the booking. So I got the rest of the paperwork together and dropped it off at the school on the way to dropping Jo back in town. Then it was off to the Health Centre to sort out the missing Social Security card. The reason he'd never been issued with one is that they still had him down as a foreign national, even though I sorted out his Spanish nationality years ago. But to my delight, I got it all sorted out in under half an hour.

Which gave me time to pop around to Lou's with chocolate biscuits and sympathy before collecting my son at 1:30.

This afternoon I did some translating and tackled the ironing pile (because it sits on the guest bed, and I have friends staying tomorrow). Then we went to the dentist's, because my son's braces had come loose. We also tried to go to a TV recording, because my son had been invited to be part of the audience. But the directions were so poor that we went around in circles until we gave up, by which time I had a stinking headache.

I want a holiday.

No comments: